5.20.2008

We Finally Feel Human Again...

We think we have conquered our jet lag. It was pretty ugly around here regarding our schedules. Bei and I were starting our days at 2:00 a.m. and then he would sleep all day and be up again between 1:30 a.m. and 2:00 a.m. I felt like a zombie! To be honest, we had not managed the jet lag well from the beginning with Bei. I think we were so exhausted that we just went with the flow, which turned out to be the wrong move. Yesterday, we only allowed him a 2 hour nap, but to be honest, he and I sneaked another one in the afternoon. Neither one of us could stay awake. Poor Dan, he was talking to me at about 4:00 p.m. and I was trying unsuccessfully to keep Bei awake, and I fell asleep while Dan was talking. I think he understood.
Now that we are home, Bei decided to sleep on top of me again. I can't imagine he finds my boney body comfortable, but somehow he manages to fall asleep. Last night, he slept next to me, he is really making strides. Every night when we go to bed, he grabs my face and kisses me unsolicited about 5 times. It is hard to believe he was in an orphanage. Dan and I are just awed and amazed and keep saying that God has been incredibly good to us!!
This morning I slipped out of bed around 6:00 a.m. to take a shower. Boy, the simple pleasures in life, like putting on deodorant take on an entire new meaning now. When someone is completely dependent on you, it really limits your own personal hygiene. Anyway, Bei woke up without me next to him and he didn't have a complete meltdown. Since his grieving day (May 9th), I have always stayed with him to ensure that he wakes up to me and it seemed to eliminate his meltdowns after he woke up. He let Dan feed him this morning and even went to him several times for Dan to carry him. Yeah!!! Maybe, I'll even get to wear make-up soon!!!
Another huge victory for us today was a ride in the truck using the car seat! We were dreading having to deal with putting him in the car seat since he wants to sit on my lap all the time, but he sat in there like a champ!
I'll close with one last cute story about Bei and his bugar picking. When we were in China we would be pushing him in his stroller and all of a sudden his little hand would go straight up in the air and his pointer finger would go straight up. He wouldn't look up or anything, he just knew we would clean the finger off. Well, he does that when he takes his nap, he'll spend 10 minutes picking his nose and each time his little finger comes out and he wants it wiped clean. All the kids from the Suzhou orphanage were the same way with their nose picking. So I have this image in my head of all these little children being laid down for their naps and the nanny running from crib to crib wiping tiny little bugar fingers. I have a hard time keeping up with his busy nose picking schedule, so I can't imagine 40 little ones doing the same thing at the same time. Once he grasps the English language, we'll have a little discussion about the proper etiquette of cleaning ones nose, but until then you'll probably see him pick his nose.
I promise that Dan will get some video's out!!

No comments: