5.08.2008

Poopie Diaper Change Video

On May 9th we were invited to visit the Suzhou orphanage along with two of the other families, but we decided to fore-go the tour due to our physical and emotional exhaustion. It turned out to be the right decision for us, because Bei appeared to be grieving the entire day. He basically cried from 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. It was very hard to watch and I really didn't know what to do except to comfort him. It just breaks my heart that he has to experience any of this, but we will work through it with him. As I've mentioned previously, he has quite extreme tantrums which we guess have to do with his abandonment issues. Once I get home, I'll put on my investigation cap, to find out the best way to help him work through his issues. Until then, I'll focus on stability, consistency and lots and lots of love.

At some point in Bei's life he must have received alot of tender loving care because he is such a loving little guy. Today, he threw a short little tantrum and he ended up crawling on my lap still sobbing and then turned to me and kissed me on the lips and held my face. In the morning he likes to be cuddled and be held before he starts moving around and at night he likes to be rocked to sleep. The other Suzhou mom's both told me their children don't like to be touched when going to bed, so my assumption is that Bei's family loved him and nurtured him very well the first year of life and for medical reasons made the most difficult decision of their life. Additionally, I'm very impressed with the care that the children from the Suzhou orphanage received when compared to some of the children from the other orphanages. It is obvious that they were well cared for and stimulated.

So today, we started the last leg of our trip, we are in Guangzhou where we meet with the American Consulate. In the mornings we will conduct whatever official business needs to be completed and have our afternoons to spend with Bei bonding.

I took this video the day prior to his grieving day. I went to change Bei's diaper and as usual he started to laugh and giggle, so I captured his very fun personality on video. Hope you enjoy it!!



No comments: